Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Healing with Herbs and Oils

I've always been fascinated with the healing powers of herbs and oils. As a child, I would eat dandelions leaves because I just knew they couldn't be all bad (I was right!). As a teenager, I would take long walks in the woods and just stare at all the different plants, wondering which plant could heal which ailment. But it wasn't until I became an adult that I indulged my curiosity. I'll never forget what happened the first time I used essential oils to heal.

It was May of 2004. I was outside playing with my son when I heard my step-daughter scream. Upon running into the house, the first thing I saw was a big red mark on her face. A closer examination revealed it to be a pretty nasty carpet burn (that's it's very own story!). I'd never seen a carpet burn like this one so I took her to her doctor. But the doctor wouldn't even give her a salve or anything! That's when I decided to take matters into my own hands. We went home and I immediately started pouring over all my herb and oil books.
Eventually I decided to use Lavender and Chamomile German. I chose Lavender because of it's ability to promote healing and prevent scars. I chose Chamomile German because of it's antibiotic and anti-inflammatory properties. I added 5 drops of each to a pint of warm water and used a cotton ball to apply it to her face. We did this 3-4 times a day and three weeks later, she was all healed! I was amazed because she didn't even have the faintest trace of that horrible rug burn left on her face.

So, then I was hooked! Ever since then, I've used essential oils and herbs whenever I could. As with any amateur, I've had my share of successes and failures (but I've learned from them all). I'm going to use this blog to track my herbal journey. Care to join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment